The density of UHMW-PE can range from 0.93 to 0.97 g/cm3 and is relatively low compared to other thermoplastics. It can withstand temperatures up to 120°C for short periods, and 80°C continuously (up to 110°C continuous for special high temperature grades).
This category of thermoplastic is characterised by:
- Excellent resistance to alternating strain
- Very good resistance to wear and abrasion
- Low coefficient of friction
- Very low moisture absorption
- Excellent impact resistance, even at low temperatures (-40°C)
- Excellent chemical resistance
- Good resistance to high-energy radiation
- Electrically insulating.